Monday, January 5, 2015

Why do folks only make resolutions at New Year's?

I have always been vehemently opposed to making New Year's resolutions mostly because it seems like an arbitrary time to focus on self-improvement. I've always maintained the mindset that you should constantly find new ways to make yourself better and make resolutions throughout the year to incorporate those changes into your life.

However, 2014 was a particularly challenging year for me and reminds me of my own 14th year in life. I guess the age of 14 whether it applies to yourself or your current millennium is a hard one. I saw on Facebook, many of my friends shared the same sentiment towards 2014, and I'm sure it can be agreed that 1914 was a pretty bad year as well. In fact, there are several similarities between the two years a century apart, including the reemergence of polio. Thus, with my energy drained from these challenges, I see the new year as an opportunity to wipe away the stains from those challenges and start new. With that my resolution for 2015 is to keep a more positive outlook by letting go of negativity more easily and not carry the weight of challenges and failures with me so much.

So basically, I've learned something I will likely learn again later in life - that principles I once held to strongly don't always apply to my current situation. This doesn't make me a hypocrite or anything, but time has changed my opinion... and it will probably change again later.

No comments:

Post a Comment